Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thiago Alves Weight Watch, Edgar Says He's "Staying Put", Tate the Underdog?

Alves praises Dolce Diet days before Weigh-Ins


After the Edgar vs Henderson fight, there has been a lot of speculation on whether to regulate weight classes by how much a fighter weighs naturally, as to have two men who are of the same weight when they actually fight. Henderson wouldn't verify just how much weight he cuts, but others, like Alves are very vocal as to how much they cut and when they do it. Just a few days ago, Alves tweeted that he was 12 pounds overweight, and then he followed that up by tweeting yesterday that he was only 5 pounds over. My guess is that Alves' natural weight is somewhere around 200 pounds, and at fight time he's probably around 180-185, a full weight class above WW. Is having an unnatural diet shortly before weigh-ins cheating the system? Can there be anything done about it? My answers are kind-of, and no. I don't think it's "cheating" by doing this, but there should be some rules in place. For example, Alves has been overweight twice in his last 7 fights. If he were to come in overweight today, I say he should be banned from fighting at WW for 1-2 years, and that same policy should be implemented to all fighters: three strikes, and you have to bump up. Weigh-ins take place at 10 PM ET, and I'm sure all eyes will be on Alves.
____________________________________________________________

Frankie Edgar: "I'm staying at 155"
Yesterday I blogged briefly on how Edgar deserves a rematch, and apparently, he thinks so too. Even though Dana offered him an immediate title shot against Aldo, Frankie wants to stay right where he is. I like the way he did it too; he didn't ask or hint at it, he demanded that he get a rematch and that he deserved it.

"I'm saying it, and I'm saying it loud: I want my rematch," he said. "I'm not going to have these antics or play these games. I'm telling you want I want. This is what I want. I think it's fair. I think the fans want to see it. It was fight of the night. Listen, even if these guys want to see me get beat up, I do get beat up in a lot of my fights, even in the fights I win, so it’s win-win for everybody."

That's how you fucking say it. That's how a champ says it. And because of the way he did say it, he'll get it. Full Interview at MMAFighting
____________________________________________________________

Rousey Opens as 4 to 1 Favorite over Champ Tate


4 to 1?? Odds are released for the championship bantamweight fight, and Rousey is a stunning -350 to Tate's (+250). I don't know if there has ever been such a lopsided favorite for a challenger in a championship fight in MMA history. Apparently the experts in Vegas respect Rousey's submission ability more than anything Tate has to offer. If you're Tate, you've got to be disrespected and feel some extra motivation to make this fight one to remember. This just adds more fuel to an already hyped up main event, and somebody's getting choked out. My money's (not literally) still on Rousey.

No comments:

Post a Comment